Wednesday, October 2, 2013

2013 MLB Season Awards

by: Ben Embry

When I was in junior high, I was a huge basketball fan.  Baseball was not even on my radar, (not until I watched the Yankees defeat the Braves in the 1996 World Series did I pay any attention to professional baseball).  Specifically, I loved college basketball, mostly because my home state Arkansas Razorbacks were awesome.  They won the 1994 national championship, which to this day is still the most thrilling sports moment in my life.

I was so fascinated with college basketball I actually wanted to give out All-American awards and a Player of the Year award.  If I had the means, I would have actually had plaques made and sent to the winners.  Now, I won't be issuing plaques but I thought it would fun to give out awards for the 2013 MLB season.  And I developed a very systematic, objective approach for selection.  The system is as follows:

AL/NL MVP's
 -  Top 5 fangraphs WAR position players become your five candidates.
 -  Among your top 5 candidates, eliminate the one with the lowest "runs created", (Runs + RBI - HR);
 -  Among your remaining 4 candidates, eliminate the one with the lowest OPS;
 -  Among your remaining 3 candidates, the one with the highest Batting Average is your award winner

AL/NL Cy Young's
 -  Top 5 fangraphs WAR pitchers are your five candidates;
 -  Among your top 5 candidates, eliminate the one with the least wins;
 -  Among your 4 remaining candidates, eliminate the one with the least strikeouts;
 -  Among your 3 remaining candidates, the one with the lowest ERA is your award winner

Ok, with those in mind, here are your winners:

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
NL MVP: Andrew McCuthen
AL Cy Young: Max Scherzer
NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw

I was actually pretty surprised to see the winners here be the consensus favorites for each award.  It actually kinda validated the system in my mind.

Below is the spreadsheet used:

It's kinda silly and in some years it will probably result in a head scratcher or two.  But it was fun and hopefully I can remember to do it again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment