Friday, December 5, 2014

Goodbye Greeney, hello DiDi

by: Ben Embry

According to several outlets, the Yankees traded 2014 rotation revelation Shane Greene for young Diamondback shortstop DiDi Gregorious. Greeney is actually going to Detroit as part of a 3 team trade, but for New York it's essentially a 1-for-1 swap. Greeney for DiDi.

This move answers the question: "Who follows Derek Jeter as the next Yankees shortstop?" My armchair analysis can be summed up this way: "Eh." Trading a 4th or 5th starter with 5 yrs of control for an average SS with 5 years of control doesn't get you real excited. The Yankees have been linked with Gregorious in trade rumors for at least a year makes me think NY genuinely likes Gregorious so there's that.

The implications are interesting. Jon Heyman tweeted this means NY will be looking to add 2 more starters this winter, which is a thought I had myself. To me, that makes the rumored possibility of signing Max Scherzer a little more likely.  I'm on record with my opposition to such a move, which isn't enough of an improvement to make NY a serious contender and thus not worth the draft pick or long term commitment.  It's essentially mortgaging the future to make the team only an above-average team as opposed to average.  If I can say anything in support of signing Scherzer, it's that if there's anyone worth forfeiting a draft pick this winter, it's the former Cy Young winner and legitimate ace.  Still, count me as a member of the "Don't sign Scherzer" camp.

Anyways, such a move is still a ways down the road and may never happen. What has happened is NY finally answered the question: "Who will be saddled with the unenviable task of trying to replace Derek Jeter?"  Congratulations DiDi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment