Monday, February 23, 2015

Seven stages of Moncada Grief

by: Ben Embry


I first heard of Yoan Moncada back in September listening to Kiley McDaniel's podcast on fangraphs. Since then, I've obsessed with this player who New York could obviously use: a 19 yr old, 5-tool IF prospect who would contend for the number 1 pick of the draft if he were subject to it. But he wasn't...anybody with a Brinks truck full of cash could have him. He was custom-made for the Yankees! The team had just destroyed the July 2nd IFA signing period, rather innovatively I must say.  They were surely going to go hard for this kid. So I obsessed over the idea and as the weeks and months went by, it did appear New York would be aggressive and try to lock this kid up...until they didn't. News broke early today that Moncada would sign with Boston for just $31.5M, on the very low end of what had been speculated. Word had been that it'd be in the 30s or 40s, so when I heard New York bid just $25M, I went into a Twitter rage.  I present to you the seven stages of Moncada grief:

Shock - 



Frustration - 





Anger -






Confusion (aka weirdly praising Boston) - 




Mellowing -





Focusing on something positive -


Moving on -


That was a rough hour-and-a-half right there! Guess it's a good thing I don't drink...



No comments:

Post a Comment