Monday, June 2, 2014

2014 MLB Compilation Mock Draft (Second and Final)

by: Ben Embry

Well, the draft is just 3 days away.  Content has been flying fast and furious on all of the well known websites like ESPN.com and Baseball America.  Mock Drafts have been updated quite a few times since my first mock draft, meaning it's time to do another.  And though it's possible they'll be updated again, I'll probably let this be the last one I do.  Tomorrow I'll have an article about some of New York's unsigned draft picks over the past 3 years and either tomorrow or Wednesday I'll do the final compilation ranking, which will have 250 names.

For those curious about what a "compilation" mock draft is, I take the most recent mock drafts from, what I believe, are all the big publications and I compile them. Think of it as all of these guys getting in a room and coming to a consensus. Here's how I think their mock would look:

Pick Team Name
1 Astros Brady Aiken
2 Marlins Carlos Rodon
3 White Sox Tyler Koek
4 Cubs Aaron Nola
5 Twins Nick Gordon
6 Mariners Alex Jackson
7 Phillies Sean Newcomb
8 Rockies Kyle Freeland
9 Blue Jays Trea Turner
10 Mets Michael Conforto
11 Blue Jays Jeff Hoffman
12 Brewers Max Pentecost
13 Padres Touki Toussaint
14 Giants Grant Holmes
15 Angels Kyle Schwarber
16 Diamondbacks Bradley Zimmer
17 Royals Derek Fisher
18 Nationals Erick Fedde
19 Reds Derek Hill
20 Rays Tyler Beede
21 Indians Michael Chavis
22 Dodgers Sean Reid-Foley
23 Tigers Nick Burdi
24 Pirates Jacob Gatewood
25 Athletics Monte Harrison
26 Red Sox Casey Gillaspie
27 Cardinals Alex Blandino
28 Royals Kodi Medeiros
29 Reds Spencer Adams
30 Rangers Brandon Finnegan
31 Indians A.J. Reed
32 Braves Ti'quan Forbes
33 Red Sox Luis Ortiz
34 Cardinals Forrest Wall

Of the six mocks I use, (links below), every one had high school SS Nick Gordon going to Minnesota at 5.  While that's the only unanimous agreement, there were other strong consensus players like high school pitcher Brady Aiken going to Houston at 1, high school pitcher Tyler Kolek going to the White Sox at 3, high school catcher Alex Jackson going to Seattle at 6, Evansville pitcher Kyle Freeland going to Colorado at 8, and NC State SS Trea Turner going to the Blue Jays at 9.  All of those players had 5 of 6 publications in agreement.  Vanderbilt pitcher Tyler Beede was by far the biggest wild card, going anywhere from Toronto at 11 to Colorado at 35.  TCU pitcher Brandon Finnegan, high school pitcher Luis Ortiz, and Virginia OF Derek Fisher also have high variables with a difference of 16 spots between the highest spot the could go and the lowest.

There's not a lot of Yankee rumors since they don't pick until #55.  The little bit I have seen linked them to high school pitcher Justus Sheffield, and high school catchers Chase Vallot, Jackson Reetz, and K.J. Harrison.  I'd be satisfied with any of those players, especially Sheffield and Vallot, who have been ranked highly the past year.  I wrote this over at Big League Futures as sort of narrative for New York's perspective on the draft this year.

I want to make sure I give credit where credit's due, that being the six writers/publications I use to assemble my board. Some are subscription based, some are free. I encourage everyone to check them all out. They are:

Baseball America (various writers)

ESPN (Keith Law)

MLB.com (Jim Callis, Jon Mayo)

Scouting Baseball (Kiley McDaniel)

MLB Draft Insider (Chris Crawford)

Big League Futures (Kevin Gallo, Matt Grabusky)

 
Email me or hit me up on twitter with any questions: info@thebronxempire.com or @thebronxempire. Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment