Thursday, May 29, 2014

Photos from Yankees at St. Louis Cardinals (5-27-14)

by: Ben Embry

Ok...so the Yankees lost again at the one game I got to attend this year.  I've been to 10 games now going back to 2004 and the team is 4 - 6 in those games.  Just for perspective, the Yankees won 58.5% of their games in that time frame, so a 40% winning percentage in games I attend kinda sucks.  C'mon, pick it up boys!

In all seriousness, that's the risk you take when you only go to 1 game a year.  And in this case, the loss is only a minor part of the story because I got to see Jeter in person one last time, and my son really enjoyed himself.  He's 19 months old and stereotypically has a hard time sitting still for ANYTHING!  So to sit on mine or my wife's lap for a couple hours was kind of amazing.  He eventually got squirmy and we took him down to the concourse for food and to let him walk around.  And he legitimately enjoyed watching the game; he ooo-ed and ahhh-ed several times and watched intently.  I've taught him to respond "Out!" when someone asks him "What does the ump say?"  He does the hand motion and everything...very cute.  I think we have a baseball fan on our hands!

It was pretty surreal to see Jeter play for the last time in person.  He got standing ovations before his first and last at-bat and there was a noticeable "DE-REK JE-TER" chant during the last AB. Very cool experience. I had to give him my own little 1-man standing ovation as he trotted off the field for the last time to thank him for all the memories.

Here's some snapshots that I got during the day on my phone:

View from the arch:

About to leave for the game:

Busch Stadium exterior (home plate side):

View from our seats (nosebleeds but right above announce booth):

Wife and son before game started:

Waiting on game to start:

Same:

Family Selfie!:

Jeter:


Someday I'll put up picks from all the stadiums.  I've been to 10 and plan to see them all eventually.  Houston's not a bad drive from where I live in Arkansas and Cincinnati's not a terrible drive. Plus we can hit Tampa when we take the kids to Disney in a few years and we're talking about coming up for the Subway Series in the next year or two.  After that, it's going to get tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment